Saturday, March 29, 2008

Today's Run

When I got up this morning, I was alternately dreading and looking forward to my run this afternoon. This stubborn ankle is giving me problems, and even the brace is only partially helpful. I can walk OK, but the extremes of dorsiflexion and repeated impact are painful every step of the way. I took antiinflammatories and acetaminophen prior to leaving, which helped some.

Having said all that, I'm glad I went. Annetta ran her route with Lucy, and Megan and I did a course that rolled through residential neighborhoods and around one of the main roads in town, and finishes with a long hill back to the house, nearly a mile of upslope. Although the day was initially cloudy with scattered showers, the sun came out just as we started, and stayed out for the entire run. I did hurt for most of the run, and had to walk a few times, but even my cold didn't affect my endurance. Normally, I finish 6 miles a little faster than Megan, but this afternoon, she was well ahead of me, and I stopped at 5.3 miles instead of doing the last loop with Meggles.

Regardless of the hurt, I have to keep working the ankle and work on endurance, since the half marathon is on May 10th. I think we have at least one 10k and another run on the fort prior to the half. I have that damned thing about DNF: Dead Last Finish beats Did Not Finish, which beats Did Not Start.

Music during the run: Drunken Lullabies, by Flogging Molly. Nothing like raucous Irish punk/folk to keep you up.

Next week: stretching/pilates tomorrow, aerobic workout of some kind on Monday, maybe something low-impact like elliptical at the gym on Fort Lewis. No long run next weekend, unless we can do it during our Reserve drill.

2 comments:

L.Moody said...

HEY PUNKS!!! i wasn't invited! but its okay im only going to DIE yeah i said DIE during the 10k. oh sad...i need help! so....HELP!!!

Megan said...

I was really worried about you today. Maybe you should really really rest your ankle for a while. I totally understand the death before dnf mentality but is it worth a worse injury?